Sunday, May 27, 2012

Changing the Goals

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and it seems that my goals are not as detailed as they need to be. I set out this year to run a 5k, and I did that. I also have another on June 16th, and I'm doing my first night run on August 18th, so that'll be really cool! I also set out to lose 45 lbs this year also, and in the last three months, I've lost 5. 5lbs. Everyone keeps saying "muscle weighs more than fat." Yes, muscle mass is different, so the weight is going to be different and it'll seem like I'm not losing anything. But that doesn't mean it makes me feel better.
Okay, so granted, I can run three miles. I can do 30 jumping jacks. I can go 35 minutes on an elliptical machine. I can also do a 15 second plank, and 20 reverse crunches. But I've only lost 5 lbs! Grrrr.
Therefore I'm going to go about this differently. I need to come up with a set of goals that are detailed, specific, and to the point. Because I don't mind weighing 200 lbs, if I look and feel great. (Granted, I probably won't weight that much if I look and feel great, but still.) Weight is just a number, and I have to remember that there are other things going on with my body that are just as much of a good tracker as others.

So here goes...
1. I want to lose 23 lbs by Halloween. Although this is the first goal, it's certainly not the most important. I don't want to focus on that number, but I'm hoping it'll help me stay on track a little bit.
2. I want to get down to a size 12 by the end of the year--if it happens sooner, than even better!! But I am refusing to buy any new clothes until I am a size 12, so if I don't get there fast, guess I will be wearing sweats and tshirts to everything. (This also means that I am shooting for losing 10 inches off my waist--that's a HUGE GOAL!)
3. I want to be able to do 15 regular push ups. Right now I do the modified version and I want to do the real deal.
4. I want to be training for a 10k by my birthday--which means I have to push harder to get rid of weight so I can run better. Sweet!

Four goals, for now. Getting there is going to be difficult if I don't have a reason for doing them. So here goes my motivation for this whole thing...
Skinny people look good in clothes; Fit people look good naked. I want to be able to look at myself and be proud of my body. I want to know that I am teaching my children that while being overweight doesn't make you any less of a person or that there's anything wrong with those people, that we still want to take pride in our bodies, do our part to stay healthy and keep active. I also want to know that I'm doing everything I can to resist bad things happening in my body: disease, sickness and other issues, that can be prevented or at least avoided as much as possible by keeping a healthy lifestyle.

Well, there we have it. New goals, and my reasons for doing so. Even if they seem a tad in vain, I don't mind. It's my body and my life I'm getting under control. Bring. It. On.



No comments:

Post a Comment