Monday, April 16, 2012

Perspective

One of my bestest friends, Holly, made a really good point today that perspective and balance are key in this race of dieting and health.  Both of us (she and I are accountability partners) did not do well in the eating department in the last couple of days. Therefore, I also need to work on balance: this will be my next step.

What does the Bible say about balance in our lives? Ecclesiastes 3:1: "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..." We must allow ourselves to remember that in moderation, specific things are okay: there is a time for everything.  We must remember that going off the diet every now and again is okay. "A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance; a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them; a time to embrace and a time to refrain." (Eccles. 3:4-5.)  Small doses, small portions, small amounts, are okay, as long as we don't overdo it.

Additionally, this has to carry over to the rest of my life: to football, soccer practices, swim lessons, homework, meal planning, grocery shopping, work, fun, food....the list goes on....I need to figure out what my priorities are, based on perspective and the ability to balance those priorities.  For example, does good eating come before having a good time with the kids: well, of course not.  But then taking them into the kitchen should be a priority, so we can spend time together and eat well at the same time.

This will probably take some time...and I am definitely open to suggestions.  I may work on making a list tonight and then posting it tomorrow.  I would love to have some input! Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment